40. Call for obedience (Lev 26:1-13)

Chapter 26 continues the emphasis on life in the land by spelling out the blessings for obedience and curses for disobedience.

πŸ‘‰ Read Leviticus 26:1-13

You must not (           ) nor worship idols for (               ). You must keep (                    ) and revere (       ) sanctuary. I am (               ).

“If you walk in (        ) statues and obey (         ) commands, I will give you (                 ) in their time and grant (             ) in the land. I will turn to you and put my (                 ) in your midst.”

“I am the Lord (               ) who brought you our from (               ) of Egypt, from being their (                ), and I broke the bars of your (           ) and caused you to walk (               )”

Answers and Meditation

Make, yourselves, my Sabbath, my, the Lord

Three verbs are used in the warning for idolatry: make, set up, and bow down. If you promote idolatry even though you don’t worship the idol, it is idolatry.

“for yourselves”: Underneath idolatry is a self-seeking attitude.

“I am the Lord” This sentence reminds them of the Lord's character. He wants them to worship Him only and to follow His ways, not in their arbitrary ways.

My Sabbath and my sanctuary: they should worship God in God’s way: time, place, and how.


My, my, your rain, piece, tabernacle (lit. dwelling place)

We should keep His words, not any good virtue that the world says or we think.

The Lord promised material blessings (4-5), trouble-free life (6-8), the covenantal blessing (9-10), and Immanuel blessing (11-12)

The latter is a greater blessing than the former ones.


Your God, the land, slaves, yoke, upright

Our God is the Redeemer who saved us from the slavery of sin and death. He wants us to live as a freedman without any yoke so that we can keep the dignity of God’s children. ‘walking upright’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25: ‘Tell us plainly’ vs ‘The Father and I are one.’ (John 10:22 – 42)

26: Other Laws concerning human life (#6 no murder) (Deut 21:1 – 22:8)

35: I am the True Vine. You are the Branches (John 15:1 – 17)