34: The New way of discipleship through the Holy Spirit (John 14:15 – 31)

Jesus said, “I am the way.” Then, how could they keep walking in the Way if Jesus returns to the Father? Here, Jesus introduces a new stage of discipleship after His departure, which is through the Holy Spirit. 

πŸ‘‰ Read John 14:15 - 31


Q1. The 'another Advocate' refers to the Holy Spirit. How can we know Him though the world could not understand Him? 

Because the Holy Spirit resides in us.

The human mind cannot understand nor recognize the Spirit. Only when the Spirit enters our hearts, do we realize His presence. He is supernatural.

“If you love me, …” The Spirit of God cannot reside in those who don’t love God.


Q2. “The person who has my commandments and (         ) them is the one who (       ) me. The one who loves me will be loved by (          ), and I will love him and will (        ) myself to him.”

“The person who has my commandments and ( obeys ) them is the one who ( loves ) me. The one who loves me will be loved by ( my Father  ), and I will love him and will ( reveal ) myself to him.”

Note that unless Jesus reveals to us, we have no way to know Him.

At the same time, this is a sure promise of how to encounter Jesus. Love and obey. Isn't it easy? 

“I will come to you.” Jesus equated another Advocate with Himself. 


Q3. “If anyone (       ) me, he will (       ) my word, and my (        ) will love him, and (     ) will come to Him and take up (          ) with Him.”  

“If anyone ( loves ) me, he will ( obey ) my word, and my ( Father ) will love him, and ( we ) will come to Him and take up ( residence ) with Him.”

Three paragraphs (15-17, 18-21, 22-24) speak the same. ‘If you love me, you will obey me. And I will reside in you and we in the Father.’ Love for Jesus will lead us to the divine fellowship and union with the Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Spirit.

"We will come to Him." The believers and Jesus together come to the Father. 

In his gospel, John describes salvation as the co-residency with the Triune God.


Q4. What is the task of the Holy Spirit? (26)

He teaches us everything and helps us remember Jesus’ words.

It is the Holy Spirit who binds us and Christ together. He convinces us that the cross was for us so that everything Jesus has done could be applied to us.


Q5. “(      ) peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the (        ) does.” Jesus’ peace has come from belonging to the (          ) who is greater than him. And such belonging is confirmed as Jesus (       ) Him and obeys His commands. Jesus’ crucifixion is not submitting to the (         ) of this world but to the Father’s (        ). 

“( My ) peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the ( world ) does.” Jesus’ peace has come from belonging to the ( Father ) who is greater than him. And such belonging is confirmed as Jesus ( loves ) Him and obeys His commands. Jesus’ crucifixion is not submitting to the ( ruler ) of this world but to the Father’s ( command ).

At the moment of His impending departure, Jesus encouraged His disciples to join His peace, rather than being discouraged. The peace in this world comes from possessing a thing or achieving own desires. But the peace of Jesus has originated in the relationship with the Father. We will enjoy Jesus’ peace when we reside in Jesus, for we belong to the Father through Jesus Christ. When we belong to the Father who is greater than anyone or any threat, we can have peace no matter what. And the relationship is confirmed through our love and obedience.

The cross is the epitome of the mutual inclusion of the Son and the Father. Thus, the centurion said, ‘This was the Son of God.’



Upon the impending departure of Jesus, they were discouraged. However, Jesus promised the coming of the Holy Spirit who will strengthen their bonding with Jesus in a new and better way. Their relationship will advance: from physical to spiritual, from visible to invisible, from earthly realm to heavenly realm, and from Jesus to the Father.

Jesus also speaks today. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.” Do not seek peace as the worldly people seek. Seek to belong to Jesus, then you will join His peace. 

He suffered to become ‘our peace.’


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25: ‘Tell us plainly’ vs ‘The Father and I are one.’ (John 10:22 – 42)

26: Other Laws concerning human life (#6 no murder) (Deut 21:1 – 22:8)

35: I am the True Vine. You are the Branches (John 15:1 – 17)